What are the most used and best SSH Clients for Windows & Linux? Accessing the remote source, fixing, and monitoring issues matters. With encrypted traffic, SSH is the most popular communication method to connect to remote devices and terminal sessions. Major enterprise environment operating systems like Unix variations and Microsoft Windows use SSH Client to establish secure and authenticated SSH connections to SSH servers. As an important program, SSH or Secure Shell is a remote connection protocol that allows administrators, IT professionals, and users to connect to their remote cloud computing resources.
Since finding an ideal SSH Client comes first, this article will discuss the top 17 best SSH Clients for Linux & Windows. Before learning about the best SSH Clients available, it is necessary to buy Linux VPS with bitcoin and Windows VPS. Then, get ready to go through the top 17 SSH Clients.
Tutorial Top 17 SSH Clients for Linux & Windows [Tested Software]
Security is the most challenging topic for every single person who uses the internet for secure communication. Secure Shell is a cryptographic network protocol that has replaced Telnet. While Windows OS does not provide SSH Client, it is available in Windows 10. There are common features for the best SSH Clients. As a secure remote terminal tool, the SSH Client password storage system is encrypted. They would provide a system for storing connection settings. While you can test the free trial, multiple sessions could be opened too.
However, if you decide to purchase a paid tool, it will be worth it. Join us with this article to find the widely-used SSH connection managers and introduce the top 17 best SSH Clients for Linux & Windows.
This open-source and free client program for SSH enables you to run secure remote sessions over a network. While this longstanding tool was made initially for Windows, it runs on Linux and Mac machines now and is compatible with all of them. Having Telnet client, SSH, and SFTP client, PuTTY also uses an SSH protocol. So, the transfer file tool would be with authentication. To have secure login into the remote system, PuTTY is a great option.
It even lets you save your connections. In this way, you do not have to remember all your connection details to reconnect with a device. (You just need to remember your sign on)
PuTTY is known as reliable and well-established software. It works well as an SSH client, Telnet, and Rlogin. It is also ideal for SFTP and SCP for file transfer. It is designed for technical professionals and requires basic networking knowledge before use. Here are some of its advantages:
- Putty is completely free and open-source.
- Multiple common network protocols are being supported by PuTTY such as Rlogin, SSH, Telnet, and raw socket connection.
- Works well on 32-bit as well as 64-bit clients.
- PuTTY is easy to use syntax.
- Capable to save session configurations, logging, and proxy setting.
- PuTTY is a light application
- It provides a user-friendly interface and is simple.
- SSH1 and SSH2 protocols are supported.
- Screen customization is possible.
- Offers plenty of connectivity options.
- PuTTY does not require setup to get it running since it is portable.
Let’s have a look at a few cons of PuTTY.
- Lack of credential saving.
- Not ideal for jobs that connect to many devices all day every day.
- Does not support session tabs.
- It does not come with many advanced features.
However, if you wish to try this popular SSH Client tool, Download PuTTY and do your remote, local, and dynamic port forwarding.
2. Solar PuTTY
Solar-PuTTY is a completely free SSH Client that does not require to be installed. You can use this application to manage the remote sessions professionally from one console with a tabbed interface. All scripts could be automated after establishing the connection. Since Windows search is integrated, you can find the saved sessions easily. Also, Solar PuTTY allows you to save credentials or private keys to any session.
Working with Solar PuTTY gives you all the features that you need to manage your devices. Generally, it is more functional and more advance than PuTTY.
Solar PuTTY Advantages
To monitor hardware health and server performance, Solar-PuTTY includes over 1200 application performance monitoring templates. Let’s see more:
- Solar PuTTY is completely free and open-source.
- It supports SSH, SCP, and SFTP.
- Graphical SFTP file transfer.
- Capable of auto-reconnect and auto-login by saving credentials.
- Using SFTP and SCP, it provides secure file transfer.
- Secure password storage.
- Simple to use UI.
- The connection setting is stored.
- Fast and frequent access by secure credential storage, besides configuration.
- Manage multiple open sessions.
- Recent sessions are accessible quickly.
- Simultaneous connections, sessions, and groups are organized.
- Interrupted connections are temporary since they will reconnect automatically.
- Customizable to meet your priorities.
- Updates all session credentials by updating the stored credential.
- Supports on-off connections.
- Attractive, intuitive, and easy to use and install GUI. (Graphical User Interface)
Solar PuTTY Disadvantages
Although Solar PuTTY is a very recommended SSH Client, you also must know its weak points.
- Not designed for novices and fresh users.
- It is only available for Windows devices. (Local script support is available)
If you are interested to Download Solar PuTTY for free, refer to its official website.
PuTTY 0.71 version developed Kitty as an open-source SSH Client. So, if you create scripts, you will be able to log in automatically. This fork edition of PuTTY provides an automatic password feature, KiTTY enables you to have an automatic connection to Telnet, SSH1, and SSH2 servers. It allows you to run remote sessions over a network and start duplicate sessions quickly. Having all the features of the original PuTTY application, KiTTY is well-designed for Windows and written in C language. Since KiTTY is capable to be integrated into browsers, you can use it on Internet Explorer and others like Firefox.
As a result, if you are a PuTTY fan, KiTTY would satisfy you too even with more advanced features. In the next part, check its best advantages.
Using KiTTY enables you to run commands on the remote computer’s command line and work with its shortcuts for pre-defined commands. Have a look at its most useful features.
- KiTTY is free and open-source.
- User-friendly interface.
- The automatic connection could be established by KiTTY.
- Port knocking sequence handling.
- Provides a chat system and a text editor.
- Passphrases storing without security issues.
- Capable to filter sessions and ‘send to the tray’ and an icon for each session.
- KiTTY is portable and saved scripts could be run on a remote session.
- KiTTY can be integrated with pscp.exe and WinSCP.
Although KiTTY helps you to perform local, dynamic, or remote port forwarding and tunneling, you need to consider that:
- The interface of KiTTY is primitive as PuTTY.
- KiTTY is only available for Windows.
If you wish to try it, visit the Website of KiTTY.
OpenSSH is a free tool that helps you to remote login with SSH protocol while all your traffic is encrypted to secure your data. Administrators of Linux and other non-Windows use this open-source version of SSH tools to manage remote systems. OpenSSH is included in Windows Server and Windows Client. With a range of components and tools, OpenSSH is designed to provide secure access to remote system administration. The ssh. is the name of the OpenSSH Client program and the OpenSSH server program is called sshd.
OpenSSH is a free suite of tools that help secure your network connections. It replaces Telnet, Rlogin, and other legacy applications. Let’s see the most important features of OpenSSH.
- OpenSSH is completely free and open-source.
- X11 forwarding
- Supports all OSs like Linux and Windows.
- Strong authentication capabilities.
- Provides a secure copy over the SSH tunnel between clients, or the client and server for SFTP and SCP.
- Establish a connection to SSH servers without needing external proxies.
- Strong cryptography
There are risks spanning the SSH Server and Client. As an administrator or a user, you should check if enabling SSH server (sshd) access on the system is required or not. Because the more you expand your attack surface, the more attackers will have a greater possibility of remotely gaining access to your system.
- There is no provision, termination, oversight process, or policies for SSH keys.
- While there are hundreds of thousands of SSH keys, the compromise of just one key is enough to gain illegitimate access.
- Many keys are unused even for six months.
- Although the SSH keys must change like passwords, they have typically never been changed.
- SSH Keys are being collected by malware packages recently.
Anyway, if you prefer to try the Secure Shell app, click and start.
mRemoteNG is an open-source, multi-protocol, tabbed remote connection manager that is available for Windows operating system. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2. Since mRemoteNG comes with fixing bugs and new features. So, this application is now an improvement over mRemoteNG, and the export and import of the connections that are stored in an XML file are possible. mRemoteNG could be shared with other devices.
It supports some protocols such as RDP(Remote Desktop Protocol), VNC, ICA, SSH, Telnet, HTTP/HTTPS, Rlogin, Powershell remoting, and Raw Socket Connections. As a multiple-protocol remote manager, includes a powerful tabbed interface for viewing all the remote connections.
mRemoteNG is a fork of mRemote that is a remote connection manager and one of the best SSH clients for Windows. While bugs are fixed and new features are added on mRemoteNG, you can view all of your remote connections in a simple yet powerful tabbed interface. This remote SSH connection manager is basic but reliable. Check its features below:
- Free and open-source.
- Multiple open sessions.
- Lightweight GUI.
- Capable to be extended by integrating other tools.
- Include a clean interface with connections that can be placed in folders.
- Storing credentials securely for future use.
- Provides an easy switch between connections and each connection opens a new tab.
- Export and import connections easily to organize in an XML file.
- Capable to encrypt files.
- External tools like tracert, ping, or WinSCP could be added.
- Multi-protocol sessions.
If you are looking for a simple functioning and powerful tabbed interface, mRemoteNG is a good choice. But consider its cons as:
- Adding numerous connection destinations cause a crowded interface.
Most professionals prefer mRemoteNG. If you need to try it, refer to its website.
It is a free SSH client that only supports Windows. An unlimited number of user connections is supported by Bitvise on all versions up to the latest Windows 10. While Bitvise is compatible with all major SSH/SFTP servers, you can expect an easy installation and setup process. While Bitvise SSh Client uses an integrated proxy, it allows port forwarding. Working with Bitvise lets you have secure remote entrance via GUI and Console with scripted connections.
If you are a fan of two-factor authentication, Bitvise is a good choice since it has a locked file transfer mode, and authenticity is supported via an active directory.
Bitvise SSH Client not only provides all the features of PuTTY but also has some additional features. Let’s see what are the most important advantages of Bitvise.
- SSH Client is free but you can purchase a paid SSH Server.
- Easy installation and use on all Windows versions (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Provides Remote Desktop tunneling and Graphical SFTP file transfer.
- Excellent port forwarding and single-click remote forwarding.
- User-friendly interface.
- Support unlimited user connections.
- Capable to reconnect automatically.
- Compile with HIPAA, FIPS, and PCI requirements.
- Virtual accounts supporting.
- An FTP-to-SFTP bridge is created by Bitvise.
- Provide the fastest file transfer speed.
- Highly Customizable.
- Commands are run through the terminal console.
Free internet lovers and Windows users find Bitvise perfect. But what are its cons?
- Bitvise SSH client manager is free for personal use only. (A paid version is available)
- Finding menu items and becoming accustomed to the GUI can take some time.
If you are interested in browsing more about this SSH Client, Download Bitvise here.
WinSCP is free and open-source software that is used for secure file transfers like SCP, and SFTP. This popular and secure tool has an SSH Client for remote connections over the network. Since it has a very user-friendly graphical interface, beginners can work with WinSCP easily. It allows you to select the primary interface you want to use before installing the software. When you use WinSCP, you will have a main file manager and syncing capabilities for files. Users also use it as a remote editor. WinSCP uses FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP, WebDAV, or S3 file transfer protocols and provides scripting and basic file manager functionalities.
Scripting and Task automation, Workspaces, and Background transfers are the features of WinSCP. Let’s read more:
- WinSCP is completely free.
- Capable of scripting.
- Lightweight, simple, and easy-to-use interface.
- Retain the timestamp and the original dates on the uploaded files.
- Stores session information.
- Open-source application.
- Automatic synchronization.
- Provides a Graphical User Interface and integrated text editor.
- It allows all common operations with files.
- Provides all the regular SSH authentication types like a public key, and password.
WinSCP is only designed for Microsoft Windows. This is something like cons. review more below.
- lacks certain sophisticated text editing tools.
- WinSCP only supports Windows.
- Slow Speed Performance and data transmission.
- Lacks of supporting UNC Paths.
Anyway, WinSCP is the Free Award-Winning File Manager! Download it from its original website.
Stay with us in the middle of finding the Best SSH Clients for Windows and Linux. the 8th one is SecureCRT. It is a commercial product that comes with many advanced features. It provides terminal emulation for computers and is used in Windows, Linux, and Mac. Using SecureCRT enables you to access more conveniently by providing quick-connect options allowing you to connect without configuration. While data tunneling and file transfer are easier with SecureCRT, you will have secure remote access. The ease of managing, configuring, and organizing all of your sessions are the result of working with SecureCRT. With a single client with SSH, SecureCRT helps you to access all of your network devices.
By two-factor authentication and implementing intelligent cards, secure your access and transfer your files easily. Also, the keyword shortcuts will make your sessions easier. Since SecureCRT provides quick-connect options, you will find it ideal whenever you prefer to not manage a session.
SecureCRT is a popular and user-friendly program among administrators, and Linux and mac users. Here you can find more features.
- A 30-day free trial is available.
- SecureCRT automates repetitive tasks.
- Provides tabbed, multi, tiled, and cloned sessions.
- Supports SSH1, SSH2 protocols, and Telnet, Rlogin, TAPI, Serial, RAW.
- You can access the recent session list drag and drop of multiple sessions.
- The session appearance can be customized.
- Allows you to customize color.
- SecureCRT is Lightweight.
- Capable to be integrated into scripts.
- Sessions and credentials are stored.
As it is clear, free software lovers will face issues with this SSH Client. So, you can guess the cons.
- It is not a completely free program.
- A paid version must be purchased for more extended access.
- lags are observed sometimes.
It provides rock-solid terminal emulation for computing professionals, try SecureCRT here.
The free and open-source FileZilla SSH Client is useful for file transfer. FileZilla allows you to transfer files from a local computer to a remote computer. It is fast, reliable cross-platform, easy to use, and available in many languages. FileZilla is available as a client version and a server version. To upload and download files to and from a server, FileZilla is useful. As a user, you can use FileZilla to transfer multiple files at the same time and navigate through folders and websites. With a Graphical User Interface, resuming and transferring large files is possible.
It supports FTP and FTP over TLS & SFTP. If you use FileZilla pro, additional protocol support for WebDAV, Amazon S3, Backblaze B2, Dropbox, and Google Cloud Storage will work.
FileZilla comes with many features, check out its popular features below.
- FileZilla is free.
- As a site manager can create and store a list of FTP servers and associated connection data.
- Capable to configure transfer speed limits.
- Users of FileZilla can compare the contents of a local and remote directory.
- Files can be edited remotely.
- Provides a drag-and-drop capability between local and remote directories.
- Allows you to modify files and folders.
- Secure and quick uploads.
- Provides a network configuration wizard.
- You can view the status of file transfers in progress or waiting to process.
- Runs on Windows, macOS X, and Linux.
- Supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS protocols.
- Helps you to observe which files were successfully transferred and are available for the recipient.
It is hard not to be a fan of FileZilla, but there are some down points that you need to know.
- Lack of Interface update.
- FileZilla does not have Email integration.
- Email notifications are weak.
However, small businesses (1-50 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry use FileZilla. If you need to know more, Download FileZilla.
MobaXterm is a toolbox for a remote computing system. This is a portable and light Windows application. As a webmaster, programmer, or IT administrator, MobaXterm enables you to manage remote jobs and use its various functions customized. It has a simple interface and great features for remote computing. While it is free software, the premium paid version is available. It comes with an embedded X server, X11-forwarding, and a tabbed terminal with SSH.
All the important remote network tools are provided by MobaXterm such as SSH, X11, RDP, MOSH, FTP, and VNC. Also, Unix commands like cat, sed, grep, bash, and more are provided to Windows desktops in a single portable exe file. Using SSH, MobaXterm allows you to be connected and its graphical SFTP browser helps you edit the remote files.
IT professionals find MobaXterm an efficient tool and enjoy its intuitive user interface. Let’s review all its features in detail.
- The home edition of MobaXterm is free but achieving the advanced features requires purchasing its professional version.
- An ideal choice to access accessing Linux/Unix systems from a Windows operating system.
- You can choose to create SSH, Telnet, Rlogin, RDP, VNC, XDMCP, FTP, SFTP, or Serial sessions
- Provides an easy-to-learn interface.
- Save sessions automatically.
- Unix commands are brought to Windows by MobaXterm.
- Allows launching remote sessions.
- SFTP/FTP multiple remote protocols are supported.
- Lightweight application.
Similar to SecureCRT, the paid version might be the reason free software lovers do not choose it.
- Most of the good features are available in the Pro version.
- MobaXterm can have some occasional performance issues.
- You have to go back to a single screen before you can switch to another tab, in case of splitting a screen within a tab.
If you are interested to know more about MobaXterm or download it, find its main website.
Similar to MobaXterm and SecureCRT, Termius is a paid SSH Client tool that is used to organize hosts into different groups and works on Windows, Linux, and Mac. It is a cross-platform terminal with a built-in ssh client. This reliable commercial tool makes the synchronization of all the data across devices easier since it uses end-to-end encryption. So, you can sync all data securely across devices. While it allows the group to share settings, each host will have its preferred settings. Termius collects commands from all servers and you will get suggestions during the type. By advancing design and technology, Termius boots collaboration among engineers and increases productivity.
Worldwide, Termius is used by millions of engineers to connect to their distant servers, communicate connection details with their teams, be more productive, and save time. Let’s see more of its features.
- Works on desktop and mobile.
- Securely sync data across all your devices.
- Allows you to upload and download files using the integrated SFTP client.
- Saves the frequently used commands for later and fast executes them when needed to share them with your team.
- Termius makes you more productive.
- All devices are easily accessible from the terminal.
- With complete support for Emacs and Vim, Termius offers the best terminal experience for iOS and Android devices.
There is not so much clear complaining about Termius. But since it is not completely free, as you guess:
- A monthly subscription is necessary for the paid version.
If this point is not an issue, and you wish to browse Termius Website, here you are.
SmarTTY SSH Client is a multi-tabbed software that is designed for the Windows platform. It is a user-friendly tool with an advanced Graphical User Interface. SmarTTY provides a secure SCP file transfer system. It offers quick file navigation and registered files displayed under the current directory. Using SmarTTY enables you to open multiple tabs for a single SSH sub-session and copy files with SCP protocols besides SSH connections. Also, You can easily configure public-key authentication without having to type a password.
This app frees you from having to re-log connectivity and worries about lag problems brought on by using numerous windows.
If you have worked with PuTTY or Bitvise, SmarTTY will satisfy you and feel comfortable with this software. Since SmarTTY has a built-in hex terminal for COM ports, it is possible to save communication logs to files. Check out more features below.
- SmarTTY is completely free.
- User-friendly program.
- Allows you to download and upload a single file with SCP protocol.
- The recursive SCP enables you to transfer the entire directories.
- Smart terminal.
- Enables you to copy and edit with one application.
- Simple and unique.
- Easy file navigation, viewing, or editing.
- Multiple sessions per connection. (Up to 10 sub-sessions)
- Offers the features of Auto-completion, Package management GUI, etc. on its latest version.
- Supports SCP file transfers
- The directory explorer of SmarTTY helps you to use file storage.
- Activity logs.
Now, review the cons of SmarTTY.
- Only runs on the Windows platform.
- Beginners might face issues while working with SmarTTY since it requires professional knowledge.
Do you need to visit its website? Here is SmarTTY.
XShell is the most powerful SSH Client that helps users to create, launch, and edit sessions with Session Manager and Inheritable Session Properties easily. Working with Xshell allows you to open Windows CMD directly within Xshell and provides a tabbed interface. Arranging multiple sessions to be viewed and monitored simultaneously will be done by the tabbed interface. Different authentication methods and protocols are used by Xshell to help it manage situations. You can also draft and edit multiple lines of string and then send it.
Instant tunneling is one of Xshell’s features that helps it to create tunnels while running a session. Here, you can read more features.
- Free and have multiple fee plans.
- Superior session management.
- Remote file manager.
- Xshell has an efficient optimization since it allows you to set key mapping and quick commands.
- Users do not miss anything due to Highlight sets.
- CMD, WSL, Powershell, and more.
- The end-to-end encryption algorithms and several authentication methods guarantee extensive security.
- Instant tunneling.
- VB, Java, and Python script support.
- Capable to create quick command buttons.
Xshell is free for personal use, but there is a paid business option. It feels like both pros and cons. There are two more points to attention:
- Xshell runs only on Windows.
- Has a high learning curve for users who are new to SSH/PuTTY.
Now, if you are interested in testing Xshell, browse its website.
14. VS Code
Virtual Studio Code is free for private or commercial use code editor. It is built on open source for code editing. VS Code runs on your desktop and is available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. With deep remote development, VS Code provides customized workspace and user preferences to connect to a container running a different OS. It allows you to use any VS Code plugins, linting and debugging for that environment. The huge ecosystem of extensions that make up the real power of VS Code comes from its amazing community of extension authors. VS code community wishes to make extension development accessible to everyone. It provides the most used and popular editor which is customizable. You can change the layout, icons, fonts, and color scheme easily.
VS Code Advantages
If you have worked with Vim, VS Code’s plugin can surprise you. It lets you add in your vim key bindings while your code styling is maintained without losing speed. Let’s review more below.
- Awesome built-in markdown preview.
- Extensible and customizable.
- Lightweight but powerful source code editor
- Allows you to use GitLens to make your workflow easier.
- Cross-Platform Support.
- Debugging code right from the editor.
- Web applications can be built and supported in VSC
- Deploys with confidence and ease.
- Terminal Support.
- Intelli-Sense code completion.
- You can enable additional languages, themes, debuggers, commands, and more.
- Project Explorer.
- Git commands built-in.
- It allows you to Increase your productivity with VS Code’s keyboard shortcuts.
- Test Development Integrations.
VS Code Disadvantages
While Virtual Studio Code comes with so many features, there are some cons that we have gathered for your information.
- Application error messages sometimes appear without enough information to resolve them.
- You cannot find any built-in functionality to display SVG file previews.
- You may find the debugging confusing depending on the language.
- Searching for settings is a bit complicated.
- Inconsistent methods to change settings. Sometimes must be done in the JSON file. Sometimes in the UI.
- Navigation, shortcuts, and theme.
It seems that testing VS Code could be interesting. Find more details here.
DropBear is an open-source lightweight application. Since it has a smaller footprint, it is more suitable for environments with weak memory. So, it is a fact that DropBear is a smaller SSH server and client. Offering offers X11 forwarding and authentication agent forwarding for OpenSSH clients, DropBear can run from standalone or inetd. It is possible to compile the server, keygen, client, and key converter into a single binary. DeroBear is designed for mac OS X, Linux, and other ‘nix’ platforms. If you do not have enough space, it lets you disable some features in DropBear. As a replacement for standard OpenSSH, originally released in April 2003.
DropBear provides a Secure Shell-compatible server and client. Here are its most important features.
- Capable to tunnel through several SSH hosts in a single command.
- Compatible with OpenSSH ~/.ssh/authorized_keys public key authentication.
- It has a lightweight deployment option.
- It shouldn’t be hard to get DropBear to work on other POSIX platforms.
DropBear is affected by the vulnerabilities that an unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit them. Check out some of them below.
- A format string flaw exists due to improper handling of string format specifiers in usernames and host arguments.
- An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to execute arbitrary code with root privileges.
- A flaw exists in dropbear convert due to improper handling of specially crafted OpenSSH key files.
- A flaw exists in the dbclient or dropbear server if they are compiled with the DEBUG_TRACE option and then run using the -v switch.
To get more information, refer to DropBear Website.
16. PAC manager
PAC Manager is an open-source GUI-based tool for configuring and managing remote SSH/Telnet connections. Connections could be displayed in separate windows or tabs. Pac Manager gives a notification icon to provide easy access to your configured connection. It also supports RDP, VNC, Macros, Cluster connections, pre/post connections, local executions, and EXPECT regular expressions. As a solution for industries, it helps them to analyze the control of chemical processes, staff, and equipment protection, and environmental certification requirements.
PAC manager Advantages
PAC is a Perl/GTK Gnome replacement for SecureCRT/Putty. Let’s see what its useful features are.
- Organization of quality-control-related paperwork.
- Tab support.
- Implement almost every SecureCRT functionality.
- Cluster connections.
- Diagnostic tools.
- Provides a GUI to configure SSH/Telnet connections.
- Proxy support.
- KeePass integration.
- Remote and local macros.
- Easy to add and edit connection details.
PAC manager Disadvantages
There should be a down point for the remote SSH/FTP/Telnet session management tool. What is it?
- Unique Linux application.
- The project seems to be no longer developed. The last version, 220.127.116.11, was released in November 2015.
If you need to get more information about the PAC manager, refer to its website.
Remmina is a free and open-source powerful remote desktop client that allows you to access files remotely and to administrate its Windows Servers. For users who work from home or travelers, it is suitable to remote access screens and share files. Is available in 67 languages and 50+ distributions. It has remote access protocols plugins such as RDP, SSH, SPICE, VNC, X2Go, and HTTP/HTTPS. Remmina provides a stable, advanced, easy-to-update RDP client. In your Business, it could be an essential component of using a Linux desktop when you need to access Windows servers. Since it is integrated into Ubuntu by default, it helps you to access multiple platforms.
It has many features like tabs, connection profiles, automatically reconnects, and support for security features like CredSSP, Gateways, and Smartcards.
This full-featured client program allows you to select the screen size and type of connection and set up a shared folder. Check out the other features below.
- Easy-to-use user interface
- Allows you to access configured connection profiles quickly.
- Host key configuration
- Supports viewport full-screen mode and floating toolbar in full-screen mode.
- Offers tray and dark tray icon.
- It remembers the last view mode for each connection.
- Groups can manage tabbed interfaces optionally.
- Allows users to maintain a list of connection profiles, organized by groups.
- Capable to execute commands before and after the connection.
What is the down point of Remmina? Read below.
- Since Remmina is only a remote client (VNC, RDP), It has no server features.
Is Remmina better than PuTTY?
PuTTY is generally more recommended than Remmina. Also, PuTTY is ranked 3rd while Remmina is ranked 6th. So, PuTTY is a better SSH Client for Linux.
Is FileZilla faster than WinSCP? I need a speed comparison.
FileZilla is faster than WinSCP. Due to the user's reports, WinSCP is slower than FileZilla while it installs junk software on your computer. But I must mention that WinSCP is ranked 15th while FileZilla is ranked 20th.
In this article, you reviewed the Top 17 Best SSH Clients for Windows & Linux. Depending on the pros and cons of all the recently introduced SSH clients, you can find and choose what you prefer by focusing on your needs and priorities. But if you are not sure which one of these 17 top Best SSH Clients for Windows & Linux meets your preference, we must mention that PuTTY is a nice solution. The reputation of being straightforward and not required to be installed is for PuTTY.
If you are looking for SSH Clients for a home server or media center users, mRemoteNG, SmarTTY, MobaXterm, KiTTY, and PuTTY are the most suitable ones. As you read, free tools are KiTTY, Solar PuTTY, WinSCP, SmarTTY, Bitvise SSH Client, FileZilla, and mRemoteNG. And the commercial tools are MobaXterm, ZOC, and Xshell.
If you encounter any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our technical support team will try our best to solve your problems.