In this comparison between CentOS or Ubuntu, we will look at the key features of the two popular Linux distributions, which will help you choose the right operating system for your virtual server.
Choosing an operating system for the server can be complicated because of the large list of features available, especially when it comes to Linux distributions, but none are as popular as CentOS or Ubuntu.
It does not matter if you are a professional or a novice, you usually have to choose between two options and we must say that the choice is not straightforward and simple. In this article, we are going to compare CentOS and Ubuntu to know which one to set up a server.
Before starting and accurate comparison, we want to have a simple comparison between two equal competitors.
CentOS is an open-source Linux distribution, widely regarded as a copy of the original Redhat Enterprise Linux, widely used in organizations in the IT world. CentOS is an enterprise-class operating system developed by Red Hat. Founded in 2004 by Linux Redhat Enterprise and supported by the CentOS community. CentOS is one of the best Linux distributions. Completely similar to RHEL, it will give you full development capabilities. The CentOS is highly customizable, secure, and enduring. These are things we should appreciate! Near RHEL, it receives complete updates from Red Hat at the organizational level, which makes it a safe choice.
Developed based on Debian architecture, Ubuntu has been one of the most popular choices for professional and personal use since its inception in 2004. Ubuntu is an open-source and receives regular, fast updates to fix known bugs. Ubuntu with a large number of software packages and capabilities has made it one of the best options for any project. With a large number of Ubuntu APPs available in the Software Center with over 40,000 applications, this operating system is a great option for customization with high-security features.
CentOS Or Ubuntu Main Differences
- CentOS is the free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
- There is a slight difference between RedHat and centos but in most cases they are similar.
- RHEL is supported by payment and is a commercial product.
- CentOS is a free product and has no RHEL brand across the system.
- CentOS is attractive because each version lasts for more than 10 years, a feature you will not find in other distributions.
- One downside of CentOS is that you get fewer features than other distributions. Anyway, that’s a good thing, because this CentOS feature is relatively lightweight.
- If you are looking for a lightweight operating system for web hosting or web applications, CentOS is a good choice.
- Ubuntu is known for its stability and an extensive list of features.
- This operating system has many default features that will make your life easier. But that makes the operating system less portable and heavier than other distributions like CentOS.
- Ubuntu is based on Debian and is a very popular operating system.
- It is not just a server version (Ubuntu Server) but a version that works as a desktop operating system.
- Ubuntu is very convenient if you need to work in a Linux environment.
- If you are looking for an incredibly powerful environment that is safe and secure (guaranteed), Ubuntu will be a great choice.
- This operating system is the most widely used among Linux distributions.
- Despite that the project started only in 2004, it is clear that this system is evolving very fast.
CentOS Or Ubuntu Which Is Better For Beginners?
The answer to this question will depend on your needs and previous experiences with and working with Linux distributions, but Ubuntu is generally a better choice for beginners. This is mainly due to the following two reasons. Ubuntu Distribution has a very large and active community that now covers and helps beginners for free. There are thousands of users in online forums who have already used Ubuntu.
You can find a lot of tutorials about Ubuntu. Linux VPS with Ubuntu is easier to use for people who have already used the desktop version of this distribution. The same is true of the CentOS and Fedora, but the desktop version of Ubuntu is much more popular than other Linux distributions for home users. So if you are a beginner in the field of Linux distributions and do not have special needs, it is better to use an Ubuntu server.
CentOS Or Ubuntu Which Is Better For Business?
Well, again the answer to this question depends on your needs. You can use Ubuntu for your company’s site or internal server, but CentOS has more advantages than Ubuntu in this regard. Some of these benefits include: The CentOS is very stable and of course safe because there are few updates compared to Ubuntu. This means the software can be used for a longer period of time and only the secure versions that are released can be used.
If you use a CentOS server, you will not have any problems with the release of new versions of applications that have bugs or problems. Most popular control panels, such as cPanel or Direct-admin, introduce CentOS as the main operating system for their platform and the main recommended platform for installation. So if you have a hosting company or you want to work as a web design company with multiple clients, it is better to use CentOS for your virtual server or dedicated server.
CentOS Or Ubuntu Which Is Faster?
It will depend on the hardware you use, but both the Linux distributions of CentOS or Ubuntu, they have almost the same performance in terms of speed.
For the final conclusion, if you are a professional and if you are familiar with both operating systems, the choice will completely depend on your project and requirements. But of you are a beginner and you don’t know to choose which operating system, you can use each of them to become familiar with each.
I hope you have enjoyed this post and you have found your answers.
Please do not hesitate to share your opinions with us regarding this article.