Usually, RDP server providers give you a single remote desktop connection by default. You won’t have multiple RDP Sessions, even when you buy RDP, which if you log in to the same RDP with a different device, the first session will be lost! But how can we enable multiple concurrent remote desktops? This article will first discover how to activate two RDP sessions and then multiple RDP sessions.
Windows server’s Remote Desktop feature has to be enabled; if it is not and you have not remote access to the server, to do this, use the below link:
Enable Multiple RDP Connections
To have multiple RDP connections, we have to do some configurations. First, we should disable the remote desktop user’s restriction to a single remote user and the second one is to change the limit number of connections.
Steps To Activate Multiple RDP Connections
- Login to your RDP server.
- Press Windows Logo Key (also known as Windows Key) and R key simultaneously to open the Run page.
- Type gpedit.msc and press OK to open Local Group Policy Editor.
- Go to the following path:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> windows Component -> Remote Desktop Services -> remote desktop session host -> connections
- We need to edit two files here, Edit the Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single Remote Desktop Services Session, put the status on Disabled, and then press OK.
Also, edit the Limit number of connections and put the status on Enabled, Increase the RD Maximum Connection allowed to 2.
Note: If you set it more than 2, it won’t make any difference because you can make two concurrent sessions in this case!
- It’s done; now you should able to have multiple RDP connections at the same time.
Create New Remote Desktop Users
To administrate RDP sessions, it is better to create separate users. However, you can connect multiple times to RDP with a single user at the same time!
Steps To Create Users
- Open the Computer Management. (Type compmgmt.msc in the Run and press Enter)
- Go to
Computer Management(Local) -> Local User and Groups -> Users, Right-click on Users and select New User…
Note: Also, you should add new users to the Remote Desktop Users Group!
- Fill the fields and create as many users as you want(Here you only need 2 users)!
All is set now! try to connect RDP with two different devices and different users.
Let’s take a look at Task Manager to check online users and run on their sessions.
Allow More Than 2 Remote Sessions
To allow more remote users on your Windows server, you need to install the RDS(Remote Desktop Services) and purchase a RDS License, but It will give you 120 days free trial for this feature when you install(without license). Here we will install RDS without ADDC (active directory domain controller).
Steps To Install RDS
- Open Server Manager.
- In Dashboard, select Add roles and features.
- Choose Role-based or feature-based installation in the Installation Type step, and click Next.
- Choose to select a server from the server pool in the Server Selection step and go ahead.
- Tick the Remote Desktop Service check-box in the Server Roles step and click Next.
- Go ahead Features step by default options.
- Tick the Remote Desktop Connection Broker and Remote Desktop Session Host check-boxes, and click Next.Note: Maybe it will ask you to install some pre-required role services or features, which you should accept.Note: If you want to use the RDS deployment beyond the 120-day trial period, you’ll need to install the Remote Desktop Licensing role too.
- In the last step, tick the “Restart the destination server automatically if required” and press Install.Note: It will take a while to be installed completely, and the server may need a few reboots.
That’s it; now you should increase the RD Maximum Connection allowed in the Limit number of connections file (For example 99) and set both files status’ which we described how you could do above already. (Step 2-7 in “Enable Multiple RDP Connections” section)
To have multiple RDP connections, we should disable the single-user remote desktop mode and change the remote connection limit. In this situation, you can have 2 RDP sessions simultaneously for free, but if you wish to have more, you should install the RDS role through the server. This tool is open just for 120 days, and after this period, you will have to buy an RDS license to be able to use it.
I wish you’ve enjoyed this post and found it useful, Feel free to leave a comment.
Hey, what If I want to login the target PC, after establishing RDP connection default(1st session) logout
Dear Kaiyum, thanks for your comment. It means you have not configured the remote setting correctly. Please reconfigure.
Thank you very much. Now we can connect more than two at same time. It is great for businesses as they have number of employees to manage.
Thank you very much, it works fine to me. Now we can connect more than two at same time. Question: After 120 day trial period, we only connect only two sessions? Or none one? I will need to do something or uninstall remote desktop connection broker to connect two session like before this installation?
After 120 days, RDS will be disabled. You will only be able to use local users to connect to this server remotely.
Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the issues. It was really informative. Your site is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing!